Tuesday, May 4, 2010

소통

"Mutual understanding"

Language is such an important tool to people understanding one another, and it makes sense that that's why the Light Fellowship funds students to go to these far off lands to just focus on learning the language. Being a language geek, the Light Fellowship was like a dream come true, but I realize how much merit there is to just learning a language without taking other classes. There's definitely a large difference between studying abroad in a country (유학) and language study in another country (어학 연수), although they both have their merits. I think the one downside of studying abroad is if you take all your classes in English other than your language class. Yeah, you get to experience the country and meet natives, enhancing your experience, but I think that because a lot of time is put into the classes, you don't really learn the language as efficiently and effectively as if you were to just focus all your energy into language learning and utilizing it. I have two friends who did/are doing study abroad here and they felt/feel like they weren't/aren't able to learn Korean as well as they could if they were just focusing on the language. In that way, I feel that my choice to take a year off to just focus on learning Korean has allowed me to improve my Korean vastly, not to mention that being put in the same boat as people from all over the world has definitely allowed us to bond over mutually learning about each other's culture and Korean culture, as well as to create friendships with people thousands of miles away from my home. To sum it all up, yes, the Light Fellowship has given me an amazing opportunity to both foster my understanding about Korean culture as well as to dabble in the cultures of the friends I have made here. Woo Light Fellowship :)!

And to address this weekly question, I feel like I've probably mentioned this a few times in this blog, but it's definitely a different experience being an Asian American here (who is not Korean-American but still blends in looks-wise). On the one hand, I'm able to dispel many people's views of Westerners (for example, Westerners cheat often--a view created by dramas like Gossip Girl or Beverly Hills, America is a dangerous place and everyone carries a gun--well, look at how many violent American movies there are, and not so much a "stereotype" but rather a misconception, the West is a cold place). Of course, the flip side is that being Asian American, they can attribute me as just being an *exception* because my Asian background is different from that of other Americans. Alas, what can I do but continue to preach? Hehe. Funny enough, I did meet a Korean girl recently who has never really met a Westerner who asked me "젓가락질이 힘들겠죠?" "Using chopsticks must be difficult for you." For one thing, I did grow up using chopsticks considering my background is Asian, but for a second and larger thing, I'm pretty sure virtually everyone in the States can use chopsticks considering how prevalent Chinese food is...

I saw one of my Korean friends recently and watched a small play in Daehangno 대학로 (a popular area among college students that I'm surprised I hadn't gone to you--what a shame I didn't get to check it out more!). A picture with the actors :D (and my friend to my left):
With a little bit more than a week left, I've been finishing up work, saying some goodbyes, and doing some packing. Ah! Very surreal to be leaving here!

4 comments:

Kelly McLaughlin said...

Another really great post, Tyler. Yes, the Light Fellowship's rigid focus on language comes with some real challenges (which most students overcome by getting out of their rooms and doing things, for example), but you're right that this focus is also really key in the long term. And not all funding sources care so much about the heavy, sometimes dull work of really getting good at a language. So I'm glad that the Light Fellowship sticks to its guns on this point overall.

Kelly McLaughlin said...

P.S. I also think that the mutual (mis)understanding question is really fascinating. It's something that studying abroad can really underscore for you in huge doses.

梁智华 said...

This is such a stupid comment after the much more intelligent ones preceding mine, but you have a lot of photos in each of your entries o.o

Unknown said...

hi i am not too sure if this blog is still active.

I just wanna say thank you for sharing, your blog had been one of the contributing factor that i went to Sogang to study (so much ready information hehe)

indeed it was a great experience!
i felt that i am not just learning korean language but also their culture.